So it turns out something really big has to happen in order for me to blog it. Christmas wasn't a big enough deal evidently, but the birth of sweet baby Andrew Lawrence Reynolds can't be swept aside!
Wednesday night, January 20th, Adam came home from school and we were both completely exhausted! We decided to put dinner on hold, put Finding Nemo on for Jackson to watch a lay down and rest for a minutes. I stayed downstairs and fell asleep on the couch for about 45 minutes. It felt great. Little did I know that 45 minutes would have to last me until Thursday night.
Adam went to Young Men's and I stayed home with Jackson and Josh and Jenna came over to hang out for a while. I put Jackson to bed a little before nine and Adam got home shortly after. We decided since we had a little rest earlier in the evening we could finish watching a movie we had started a couple of nights before. I had a few contractions here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. We finished and turned off the lights around 11:30. I made the comment, "I sure hope these contractions slow down." And Adam made the comment "Well if you'd just have the baby you could sleep a lot better."
We both fell asleep, but I was in and as contractions would wake me up. By 12:30 I was wide awake and decided I should get up and pay attention to find out how close the contractions were coming. I went downstairs and started timing them. They started at about 5 to 6 minutes apart and maintained 5 minute intervals for over an hour. I decided that maybe if I took a hot shower I could get them to stop. No luck. By 2:00 they were starting to get more painful and realized I was probably in denial and that I really was in labor. I was trying to hold out as long as possible so if we were going to the hospital they wouldn't send me home. I woke Adam up at 2:30 and said "I think tonight is the night. I think we are going to the hospital." He said "Really?" and I said yes, I've been timing them for 2 1/2 hours and they are 4 or 5 minutes apart. At 3:00 he was packing my bag because it was hurting too much for me to really stand up and walk around. We called Josh at about 3:30 and had him come over to sleep on our couch and stay with Jackson. We got the hospital and I was really hurting and having a hard time breathing during the contractions.
Triage took their sweet little time with getting me taken care of. When they measured me I was dialated to a 6 or 7. They admitted me at 4:30am and I called my mom to have her drive down and relieve Josh in time for him to get to school. They asked if I wanted an epideral and I didn't hesitate a second. They said okay they would get it going... not until 5:30 did they get the epideral in and by then I was dilated to an 8! The Dr. said he could break my water and we could get going and have the baby soon. By this time I was so tired from the pain and lack of sleep I told him I really needed like 15 minutes to just rest without anyone touching me and try to relax so I could get some strength and energy to push. I had no idea where the energy was going to come from but I was just too tired to think about pushing a baby out right then. The nurse kept bugging me for another 15 minutes and when the Dr. came back I told him I still wasn't ready. at 6:30 I told the nurse I was ready for the Dr. to come back and break my water. I had a feeling as soon as my water was broken, I would need to be ready to go. I was fearful of being able to do it knowing last time I had to push for 2 hours. I wondered if I'd really be able to do it or if I would have to give up and have a c-section.
I was at a 9 when my water was broken. 1o+ minutes later, I told the nurse there was a lot of pressure and I really felt like I needed to push. She told me she didn't want to have me start pushing too early and said okay and putts around for another couple of contractions as I felt like the baby was falling out. She finally went and told someone I needed to be checked. The resident Dr. checked me, said I was ready. I was barely able to roll from side to my back to get into the stirrups. The attending Dr. didn't make. I made about 5-8 ten second pushes and our sweet little boy was born.
We feel so blessed to have another baby arrive safely to our family.
In the beginning... 6 lbs 15 oz. 19 1/4in

On Friday, the day I headed home, Jackson was ready to try holding Drew. It went as well as could be expected.Not long after being home, Bishop Blodgett and his wife stopped by to share a congratulations, meet sweet Drew, and take our picture for the program on Sunday.
To help with the "excitement" and transition for Jackson I bought matching sleepers for them to wear to bed. He was most excited about matching and knew he had one just like "baby's". As part of my coming home surprise Adam went out and bought a new chair for Jackson's room. I had been searching Craig's list and other sites all week trying to find a chair for his room for reading since we moved the recliner to Drew's room.
I was thrilled to wake up in my own bed on Saturday morning especially since it was my 27th Birthday!! It was a pretty low key day and I completely enjoyed it. I slept in Saturday morning thanks to mom taking care of the boys after Drew's 6:00 am feeding. Mom had bought a huge collection of GeoTrax trains at a yard sale last summer and kept them for Jackson for when Drew arrived so he would have something new to distract him. It totally worked for him and Adam! The boys played for a long time with the trains, and when Jackson went down for a nap Adam spent another 2 hours making a whole new track.
Adam did a great job with birthday presents this year. I got a new ipod docking station with speakers so I can listen to music downstairs, an ipod gift certificate and new earphones (I guess he is hoping I hit the track again and exercise with my ipod:)). He and I went out Saturday night to a few stores because he wanted my input on my last brithday present, and ottoman storage bench. It is perfect for our living room and does a great job of storing a bunch of Jackson's toys.

My mom was incredible during her week stay with us after I returned home from the hospital. Even though she only lives an hour away, I cried after she left out of pure gratitude and love for her. She did so much to help me and our little family during the week. I can't thank her enough for her help and sacrifice.
She did it all. She cleaned my nasty stove/oven/microwave and bathroom. She did our laundry (multiple loads a day it seemed), she played with Jackson, she took the early morning shift with Drew, she took us to McDonald's, she helped get their pictures taken, she sewed Drew's nursery curtains, bed skirt, basket liners, mobile cover, and quilt, hemmed Adam's pants, read to Jackson for hours, fixed my living room curtains, fixed and cleaned up our meals and a host of other things that I will forever be grateful for.

Yes, it was me that put my sweet baby of only a few days old in Jackson's play dump truck. I have pictures of me as a tiny baby in a doll stroller, so I figure we can put Drew in a dump truck:) I just hope Jackson doesn't get any ideas...
Drew's classic "O" face.
When Adam came home from church Sunday there were 4 or 5 emergency vehicles at our townhouse complex. There was a small fire in one of the townhomes and Jackson thought he had struck gold when Adam took him in the rain to look at the fire trucks and ambulances. I hope my boys realize at an early age what a great dad they have!
We got our biggest snow so far this year one day last week. Although Jackson isn't big into sledding yet, he does like to walk around and point and say snows. Adam used our dust pan to shovel a path to our gate since we don't have a snow shovel:) And Jackson used a spackle thing since we couldn't find our garden shovel. Gotta love the student budget.





17 comments:
Yay! i'm so glad you posted all this!! thank you! my nephewS are so cute!!! i'm glad your delivery went so well! it gives me hope for my next one, lol. love you guys!!!
Congratulations! He is adorable! Welcome to the world of being a mom to 2 boys...it's fun :)
Oh, I'm so happy to hear the news!!! I had to laugh because having a baby was what got me to post something again, and this is the first week I've posted since (now 3 months later!!). It was so awesome to read your story--although I just had a baby, it was so sweet to think of all those precious moments, anticipating the arrival and then going through all those "firsts" w/him. I'm so glad things went well--You're awesome! Just stay patient when things get hard w/Jackson...My Madelyn has sure struggled w/the addition, but things are finally improving! :) Enjoy these first few weeks...I can't believe how fast it's gone for me again! Love you guys!!!
yay!! i love the post! i can't wait to come out and visit you guys soon! congrats!
Lauren
What a cute little guy!!! Congrats!! Glad you are doing great!!! Thanks for the post!! Oh and their pajamas are too cute!
I'm so glad everything went so well! He is so precious. My favorite picture is the two boys in their matching jammies. Congratulations!!
Little Drew is so sweet! How lucky he is to be born into such a great family. Anytime you need a break from two kids, just drop Jackson off here! I'm sure Jos and him will become quick buddies- may already be from Nursery. I love the truck idea! I am SO going to use that idea in upcoming photo sessions! LOVE it!
Congratulations! And happy birthday. Every January 23rd, I think of you - my half birthday buddy. You look great and Drew is cute as a button. Lucky little guy to have you as his mama.
Great pics! He's definitely a keeper. I really love the matching jammies. Good pick!
Congratulations! You give me hope for having another one and the pushing being so short...I also pushed for 2.5 hours with Sam, and that terrifies me to think of doing it again.
Your baby boy is a doll. I love seeing his little tiny baby clothes and curled-up body positions! Congrats!
Such great pictures and such a great update! I love reading your blog posts Jen.
Congratulations! We are so happy for you and glad to hear all went well. When you are feeling up to it we would love to come meet the little guy!
Congratulations! I don't know how I missed this post! You guys are awesome!
Your boys are so cute:) Congratulations on everything, cant wait to see everyone hopefully this summer to UTAH.
Congratulations!!! I absolutely loved reading your stories and seeing the sweet pictures. Jackson is getting so big and Drew is simply adorable. I love his "O" face.
So fun to read! We love you guys!
Drew is so adorable! What a busy time you've had. I'm so glad all went well and you're feeling good.
Post a Comment