If anyone ever wanted to call me nuts, I gave you a great reason to when we went camping for the first time since Jackson was born to the stake family camp out the second weekend in October.

Thursday night Adam and I were talking before bed thinking it would be fun to go camping as a family and now would be as good as time as any to try out camping with the boys. Adam had a long day of school ahead and a research abstract that was due by midnight on Friday that still needed to be finished. I decided I would go ahead and pack the family for the night and be ready for Adam whenever he arrived. I prepped myself not to be disappointed if things didn't work out just right and that I would be flexible. That must have been a forewarning.
Adam didn't get home until 7:30 and it was nearly dark, Drew's bedtime, and was totally frustrated because he couldn't upload the abstract graphs he needed to submit for his research. We talked through it and came up with a reasonable solution. It was now nearly 8, but I was remaining calm, and could see Adam still wanted to go camping. I encouraged him to get things packed for himself and we could still go and have a good time. Jon and his family offered to help us get our tent set up in the dark. I wanted it to work as much as he did since I had been packing and getting excited for the adventure all day. We knew we had already missed some of the funnest part of camping but decided to take what we could get. We would stop by little ceaser's get an easy dinner and maybe still make it for a little campfire.

I told Adam the only thing he needed to pack was add his pj's to the bag by the door, and get his sleeping bag. He packed his clothes but couldn't find his sleeping bag. Made some calls to see if someone had borrowed it. The only thing we came up with was that maybe it was in the scout closet at church... So frustrated once again, I said no big deal. Let's just add some blankets and dress warm (Did I mention it was supposed to be in the 4o's?)
So off we go, it's around 8:30 now but we are determined to do this despite the previous setbacks. We arrive at Kelly farm, in the pitch dark, by nearly 9. I get out of the car and ask Adam where the black bag is that he packed his clothes in because that bag has our flashlights. He says what, "you didn't get it?" I said "no, you've got to be kidding me". The bag had been left at home by the door.

Don't worry, we didn't turn back. I dropped off Jackson, Adam, and the tent, and me and Drew made the 25 minute drive back home to get the darn bag. When we made our return 5o minutes later, now a little after 10, Adam and Jackson are telling stories inside the tent (Mr. Treebody was the main character). Changed the boys into their pj's as quietly as possible--which was tricky. Nearly everyone else was out for the night, so getting Drew bundled up, nursed, and to fall asleep in the nearly freezing weather was slightly challenging. But not near as challenging as when he woke up at 3 and 6 and fought going back to sleep. Considered and nearly consented to leave with Drew for the night and come back to get Adam and Jackson in the morning. I woke Adam up once not knowing quite what to do and he was of little help. He offered up "I wouldn't mind going home." Jackson was an all star. He and Adam slept in blankets--I use that loosely because I spent most of the night trying to pull it up around since he kept wiggling out of it. He woke up only once and I just grabbed Tigger and handed it to him and he rolled over without a hitch and slept till 7:30 or 8.

When daylight finally came, and I knew we had made it, I was thrilled and impressed to say the least. My sweet little boys had red noses, but were all smiles. It had been worth it. I knew if we could handle that, we can someday make great memories as family camping when we actually have gear, and in the summer when we aren't freezing!

1 comment:
Oh my goodness -- what a camping trip!! You have such a positive attitude, which is impressive considering the amount of sleep you got. :) Your boys are so cute!
Post a Comment