Wednesday, November 12, 2008

5 1/2 hours!

That's right, I got to stay in my bed for nearly 5 1/2 hours in a row last night!!! After 7 months (plus the last few months of pregnancy) I have been getting up multiple times during the night and have rarely slept for more than 3 hours in a row! I've been doing alright and haven't been overly tired, but last week Jackson decided to start getting up 4 times instead of 3 times each night and I decided it was time to draw the line... the line of sleep training! I realize the picture should have been of me sleeping, but Jackson is much cuter. I risked waking him up for it (stupid me) but I only startled him as you can see from his hand, but he did stay asleep.
I'll admit, I didn't do any book reading and just talked to a few people about their experiences and decided to play it by ear to see what worked for us. This made me a little nervous because I'm usually a by the book person and "winging it" is not my cup of tea.
The hardest part for me was the anticipation and the mental preparation. Sunday night came and at 8:00 I was still saying to Adam "I don't know if I can really do this." I finally committed after he said he would be willing to get up every other time. Knowing I didn't have to do it by myself made it seem more bearable.
He had a long day Sunday without his normal naps so I knew he was totally exhausted and I had fed him baby food 4 times and nursed him a few times as well so I knew he had enough substance to last him a while and I didn't need to be worried that he would be hungry. He feel asleep at 8:30 and was completely out.
Adam and I went to go work on some things in the study and at 9:30 I hear him stirring and crying. I immediately thought this is going to be the longest night of my life...is it really worth it? I went into the bedroom and gave him his binki and Tigger. He threw both of them away and he was obviously upset. I felt his stomach and it was pretty tight so I gave him some gas medicine and continued to massage his belly. I gave him Tigger and his binki back. He continued crying and I tried to push on his legs to get some gas out but nothing game. I tried once more to give him Tigger and binki and this time he took it. I didn't pick up at all and once he started sucking on his binki I sang him a song and left. He was out pretty quickly. I knew that would be an easy one since it had only been an hour.
10:30 rolls around and Adam and I are just getting into bed, again I thought "this is going to be the longest night of my life," as Jackson began to stir again. Adam went in and within a minute or two he was asleep again.
I didn't hear from him again until about 1:00. I knew this round would be harder. He was already crying a bit when I went into his room. He cried a bit harder once he could see him. I gave him his binki and Tigger as we had done before. He threw both away and was obviously bugged. I started singing a song and gave it to him again. He took the bait and started to settle down. I sang a few more songs, gave him a kiss, and left the room. The crying started again. However, there were no ear piercing screams, or crying that said "YOU'RE THE WORST MOM EVER." It was just normal baby cries. I let him cry for about 20 or 25 minutes before going in and giving him his binki and singing another couple of songs. I gave him a kiss and left again. After 10-15 minutes he was asleep again. I got back into bed and shut my eyes. I was wide awake by this point since I had spent my time looking online for Christmas presents and emailing my mother-in-law.
Before long I heard Jackson again. I looked at the time and it was only 2:10. Since I was already awake and the first round of crying was doable I didn't wake up Adam and went in again. I continued the routine and wiped his tears. It only took about 10 minutes this time. I got back in bed and was still wide awake with my mind racing and couldn't fall asleep.
I begin to settle and there is my little boy again making himself known with some whimpering. I look and the time is only a bit after 3. Good heavens. Although at this point I realize I'm nearly halfway through the night and know I have the will power not to wake him up or feed him until it's time to get up. Again, I'm already awake so Adam gets yet another by. I go in and do my thing and leave. Only a couple of minutes pass after I leave and I don't hear a sound...
Until 7:15!!! Alright, I did it! The first night is over and it is not nearly as painful as I had anticipated or as the stories I had heard... why did I ever doubt that my little Jackson wouldn't pull through for me. I decided that since he did so well he and I were both ready for sleep training and Night 2 would commence on Monday night.
We followed the same eating routine and put him down at 8:30. He was out like a light and heard him give a little cry at around midnight. Which is to be expected since he normally went about 3 hours before eating. Adam popped his binki in and he was fine. 3:00am rolled around and he gave a cry. I got up and sang one song and went back to bed. I heard him again at 4 gave him one song with a binki and went back to bed. He got up at 7:15. Another night down and we made more progress!
Last night was AWESOME!!! He again went to bed at about 8:30. Whimpered at 11:30. I didn't hear him until 5:00am! IT WAS A MIRACLE!!!!! I could tell he was getting hungry because he was really crying but I still just gave him a song and it settled him down. I heard him talking and whimpering at 5:45 and decided to feed him. I knew he was still tired so I fed him and got him up like it really was morning knowing full well he wouldn't be able to stay awake long but I didn't want to confuse him and let him think that I was going to feed him and put him back to bed. He was out again by 7:00, and then got up for good at 10:00. What a treat!:)

11 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Way to go, to both you and Jackson. I really think it is harder on us moms than it is the kids. It's so hard just lettting them cry, but so worth it. Though I shouldn't talk I got up with Lance until he was 18 months and I just got lucky with Luke he has slept through the night since he was two months old. I hope it continues going well for you and enjoy some much needed sleep!

Marissa said...

So glad you got some rest! Having to get up so much at night really takes a toll on a mom. I think you did the right thing in figuring out what works best for you and Jackson- a lesson I learned is that there really is no manual to getting a baby to sleep through the night. It just takes patience and knowing your child. Hope he keeps it up!

The Masons said...

Well done!!!!

The Spanns said...

congrats!!

Ashlee said...

I don't know how you woke that many times in one night and survived the next day! I guess I have it easy with my once a night feeding with Gray.
4 feedings of baby food! that boy can eat.

I'm glad the nights are getting better the first couple are always the worst.

Jenna said...

Yay Jenn! Sounds like it was very hard and tiring! I don't think I'm looking forward to that part. Also, thanks for helping with our blog. I still can't see the background, but I like what you did. You're the best!

Krista Griffiths said...

Good for you!!! That is so exciting! I would say that it is definitely the time to get him sleeping really good at night. I think it gets tough again when they learn to pull themselves up and stand in the crib, so if you can get him sleeping really good before that, it should really help!!! Ohhh, the sleeping is so hard!

alyssa said...

Hooray for you and Jack! I am so glad that you are paving the way so that you can teach me all of your tricks one day! I am so glad that it worked. What is your body going to do with all of this extra sleep??

Bingham Family said...

Your a pro! I remember the night Brance slept all night long. The next morning I ran into his room to make sure he was still breathing. I am so excited for you, way to go!!!

Tyler and JoAnna Hamilton said...

this is so great! Axl is doing quite well, but I'm getting ready to make a few changes--cross your fingers for me :)

Joy said...

I am so proud of you! It is so much harder to go through this process than it is to just get up and nurse through the night! Way to go! Enjoy the sleep!