Adam and I arrived in California December 22nd. Starting early on our New Year's resolution to be thrifty, we flew separately since we had a free flight on 2 different airlines. I flew by myself with Jackson which I was definitely nervous and anxious about. Adam gave me and Jackson a Priesthood Blessing before we left that gave me me comfort and strengthened my faith that everything would be fine. The power of the Priesthood is such a great blessing to have. Jackson and I flew to Atlanta first and then from Atlanta to Orange County which was over 4 hours! Luckily we were sitting first class (thanks to frequent flier miles) and sat next to a very nice Grandma! She was so helpful and so understanding as Jackson got frustrated being so tired. He feel asleep for about an hour which gave him just enough energy to be cheerful when he saw Grandy, Papa Larry and all the aunts and uncles. He was such a show off--which was so fun for Adam and I.

Christmas Eve was absolutely wonderful! Wendy made a delicious roast dinner which included
a divine salad, broccoli casserole (compliments of Jenna Reynolds), rolls, mashed potatoes and topped off with sparkling cider (and I think Lauren is still burping it up since she drank so much of it. Followed dinner up with going and seeing a neighborhood that prides themselves in all their lights which was truly incredible. When we were done with lights we went and sang "We wish you a Merry Christmas" at In-n-Out where Courtney had to work until 11:00 pm. She turned bright red, but it was so fun and it was obvious to everyone there that Courtney we love her and we could tell she felt loved. When we got home we put Jackson to bed and Wendy and Larry had prepared a family program for us. This was my favorite part of Christmas Eve and I hope to make it a tradition in my own family as we begin raising our children. They passed out a copy of "The Living Christ" and we went around the room and each read a paragraph. Wendy and Larry both gave their testimonies of the Savior and then gave each of us an opportunity to do so. The Spirit was so strong and it was such a beautiful way to focus on the Savior and our relationship with Him and to be reminded what His birth means to us individually and how it has changed and influenced our life. We then wrote one thing we would like to give the Savior this year, or that we would like help with changing. We gave it to Wendy and she will give it to us or mail it to us next Christmas. Then they gave each of us a hardbound memory book from Fall 2007-Fall 2008 of all the things the family has done over the past year! Another fun tradition we hope to continue every couple years. Then they picked some home videos when the kids were little. Soooooo funny! It was really cute to see all six kids as they were growing up. Thank you Wendy and Larry for such a wonderful Christmas Eve and the awesome book. Good memories indeed!

When Courtney got home we started opening presents from under the tree. We went in order from youngest to oldest and opened all the presents! Since a majority of the Reynolds family aren't morning people, we all had a lot more fun doing it at night with everyone in a good mood! Adam and I scored a box load of VHS Disney movies to add to our previous pitiful collection we were so excited especially for Beauty and the Beast! We also enjoyed Twilight pajamas, a Belgium waffle maker, frisbee golf discs, DVDS,

books, and butter dish. Adam gave me an incredible family calendar that he made and ordered online of our family (mostly Jackson) that I LOVE! I gave him a 1" binder of all the emails we exchanged as freshman when we first met and started "dating". It was neat for both of us to give gifts from the heart that represent what is most important to us in our life... our family. Jackson slept through Christmas Eve but was eager to wake up early on Christmas morning...he must already have it figured out. He and I and Adam got up first and went downstairs. we hung out for bit until the other woke up and we unwrapped stockings.



Then it was finally Jackson's turn to open presents! HOORAY. As the only grandchild Jackson certainly got his fair share of attention..even while opening presents. We sat him in the family room on top of the ottoman with everyone around him watching. I would tear a hole in the paper big enough for him to grab and then he would rip it. If he could see a toy in there he would look up and grin and then look back at the present. It was priceless. There were too many perfect pictures for me to choose between so I chose them all and put them in a collage. They might be too small to see, but he kept giving cheezy smiles. He got really excited about his V-tech push toy from Grandy and Papa and his Graduate banana star puffs. The center picture was my favorite. It's him in the middle of all his presents...including the cell phone. Spoiled I know. He got my old cell phone in hopes that he will stop chewing on my new one.
Other Christmas Vacation Activities:

Jackson and Adam watching soccer.

We got to go down near San Diego to our friends Rich and Brittany Bradshaw's wedding reception! These guys were all friends and all lived in Academy Arms together.

Our lil' family at the reception.

Arie and Abigail got married 3 days later! (Abigail is Rich's sister) an Arie is of course a best friend.

Grandy took us to feed the ducks at the park!

Jackson learned to give a cheezy smile, and we gelled his hair up for the first time for fun.

Adam was Arie's Best Man. It was a wonderful day, and Abi definitely looked incredible! It is so fun to see friends happy and in love! Congrats!!

Since it has been cold in KY since Jackson learned to sit up, this was his first experience with feeling grass. He liked feeling it, but mostly liked eating the pieces I pulled up and dropped on him. He wasn't sure what to think when he was lying down and could feel it on his head and neck.

He has learned to take stuff out of containers, but doesn't know how to put anything back in:)

Jackson just LOVED Misty! For the first few days if Misty ever came in the room Jackson would flash the biggest smile ever, and kick and squeeze his hands. He thought she was the coolest thing! Although he liked to poke her eyes, and squeeze her skin and fur, he mostly loved watching her move. Misty was not impressed with him at first but by the end of the week she was giving him kisses--gross I know. I can't believe I'm a mother that let's dogs lick my child's face! I guess it's true, you mellow as you get older and realize it could be a lot worse.

We got to go and visit Julie and David's apartment and it was sooo cute! They did a great job of painting and decorating. It feels very cozy and is very modern! It was really fun to see them and visit with them there. It was so fun for me to pics of Jackson on their fridge!!:)
I was really bad about taking pictures of Jackson playing with all his aunts and uncle--but he TRULY enjoyed it! When we got home had a really hard time playing by himself and being alone in a room. Thanks to all the fam for such a fun and wonderful vacation!!
3 comments:
I LOVE what you guys did for Christmas Eve. I might have to steal some of those traditions for my family's future use!! LOVE the Twilight PJs too!
Wow...Arie's married! Man, that's crazy. I love that guy...we taught at the MTC together, and I'd always be like I remember you from freshman year and he was always like I don't....hahahaha. Love that guy. Congratulate him for me.
It sounds like your Christmas was a blast! I loved the cute pictures of you all and Jackson. Oh, and by the way, I loved your outfit at the wedding! :)
Post a Comment