Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Every Mother's Wish

Every mother wishes they could have a Jackson. Although most don't say, "I wish I had a Jackson" they usually say it in the form of "I wish I had a baby that was a good sleeper," or "I hope I have a baby that isn't fussy" or "It would be great to have a baby that sleeps in," or "wouldn't it be great to have a baby that didn't spit , or cry when they have a dirty diaper, or get upset when you change their clothes or get them out of the bathtub?" That wish for me came true with Jackson. He continues to be the perfect baby (Is it bad. that I already feel bad for his siblings since he has set such a high bar?)
Today Jackson is 2 months old, hard to believe. I decided long ago that I wouldn't try to put Jackson on a schedule until 3 or 4 months. I have heard lots of theories and advice on sleep schedules and I figure at 3 months I'll have a pretty good idea of what will work best for us. However, Jackson seems to be taking the lead and has already decided what works for him. for the past 3 weeks or so Jackson seems to follow a schedule of his own that works pretty well for all of us.
He usually goes to bed between 11:30pm and 12:30am. He wakes up to eat between 3-4 and is only up for about 20 minutes before going back so sleep. He eats again between 6-7. He is usually asleep for the most part but is restless from about 7-9. He finally wakes up at 10:00am! How great is that! He takes after his mom and dad that just love to sleep in! He is up from 10-12 for a bath, play time, and reading. He is exhausted by noon and goes down for a 2 hour nap. He gets up again around 2 to eat and stays up for about an hour or an hour and half before taking another nap till 4. He gets up and then eats around 5 and falls asleep for an evening cat nap around 6 or 7, eats again around 8 or so and then is up till midnight . Funny kid! He sure is easy to love!
Today was especially exciting for me because he showed me that he can put himself to sleep!! At noon today I knew he would be getting tired, but I was starving and needed some lunch. I put him down in his bassinet after reading and went down to grab some food. 10 minutes later I went up and he was sound asleep. I don't think we are going to have to experience the terrible nightmare of having to listen to him cry himself to sleep in order for us to get sleep. 8 weeks and he can go to sleep all by himself. What a blessing.

1 comment:

vanessa said...

That's awesome he's doing so well!! Good job. I just hope for your sake it stays that way.