Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Swimsuits and Soda

Thank goodness I already have my ping pong table, because at this rate I will never see my hard earned loan money again over the next few years of dental school. We went to old navy the other day. I need a lot of clothes, but I am a bit of a penny pincher so I try to only buy stuff when it is on sale. So for example I bought a pair of jeans for next fall because they were on sale for fifteen bucks and I am sure I will need them.

Also take for example the fact that four years ago I needed a swimsuit and went to old navy and found one for FOUR dollars! So I broke the bank and bought it...it is still the same suit I wear today even though the back pocket is ripped.

This last week while at Old Navy I thought to myself, maybe I should buy a new swimsuit. "No I already have one" I labored with the decision but my better thrifty self walked away, proud of my moral victory.

I casually walked to the back to try on my jeans to make sure they fit and to spare you the details I came back out and to my right was the baby/infant section of old navy. I didnt even know they made clothes that small at Old Navy! If you have a baby and live off loans like I do... I am warning you ahead of time DO NOT ENTER THE BABY SECTION. The baby section is the fountain drink of a happy meal. You walk in there and you loose sense of all direction and suddenly you think everything is a must have and way cutter than it is. You pick out a few things here or there because you cant just get a water with your hamburger. Then you make it to the front to check out and they charge you 10 dollars for the shirt and 10 dollars for the swim trunks you just bought your son. If you were to translate that into dollars per square foot, it would be like 50 bucks a square foot, because there is less fabric in the clothes for you baby than in a pair of socks. But you buy it anyways and now your deal on a pair of jeans just made Old Navy a killing.

So you might be wondering what I am trying to say... Well the lesson is don't buy the stupid soda. You know that stuff only costs like 2 cents a gallon to make, and they just laugh at you because your just donating to the charity called McDonalds when you buy a soda. They make you think you are getting a deal because "You get FREE refills." what they dont tell you is that no human could possibly drink a dollars worth of soda and actually live. Lesson 2-your kid is going to be better dressed than you for the rest of your life, unless you can avoid the siron call of the baby section in (insert name of any national chain clothing store here).

Here is Jackson when we told him he was going swimming.
Then we told him he had to put on sunscreen!

As I wrote this post I think he already out grew the outfit, so we either have to have another kid to get some use out of it or just go buy more clothes. You can place your bets on which one we choose!

6 comments:

The Spanns said...

hahahahaha, I laughed out loud as I read this! Ah, so, so true! I will admit though, he looks pretty stinkin cute in that outfit!

jeremy and steph said...

you guys are always good for the entertaining analogies! :)
Kids' stuff is way cuter...so just give in...that's the way life is...you are always going to spend the money you have (and don't have) on your kiddies :)
So you guys are coming our way in july?? we would LOVE to get together. We have a pretty crazy july but let us know when you are coming and hopefully we can work something out...you guys are just great!

Sheryl said...

You are witty girlfriend. Nice! Liz is your cousin! We were dating brothers at the same time so we hung out a lot back in the day. Good thing for both of us we got out of that :) It's a small, small world.

Sarah said...

Cute! I think it's totally easier to spend money on kids clothes than for me. SO...I go to the grocery store and my girls look adorable and I look like crap. People must think I'm the babysitter or something! I love the trunks and shirt, I would have had a hard time passing them up too!

Kris and Kally said...

Oh that was hilaroius! The best part was that he looked so dang cute in it! Nice work!

Tara said...

I love your stories! I just ordered a bunch of "post baby" clothes for me from Old Navy and I too could only buy things on sale. Right now I am hoping they fit.

Love your new layout! And Jackson is so sweet!